Network Co-ordinator: Peter Wright, firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow us on Facebook: @ClassicsNetworkNorth
Follow us on Twitter: @ClassicsNorth, @B6FC_Classics & @alcibiadesisace
The Network was established in 2016 by Peter Wright, Head of Classics at Blackpool Sixth Form College, Times Education Supplement `Further Education Teacher of the Year’ in 2015. The College is in area of socio-economic deprivation where the number of children receiving free school meals is significantly above the national average.
Peter currently has an astonishing 120 pupils studying ancient history at A level and in 2018 17 pupils went on to study classics at Russell Group universities. Over the past three years, he has also inspired other local state primary and secondary schools with no previous experience to take up classics. He finds Latin and classics have improved pupils’ literacy, aspiration and understanding of modern foreign languages. Achievements to date include:
- introducing Latin on the curriculum as a main foreign language in six primary schools and as an after school activity in a further three using the attractive Minimus course
- kick starting classics for pupils in five secondary schools either as a club, for example at Armfield Academy or on the curriculum for all pupils in years 7 and 8 (Aspire Academy)
- running innovative training with Dr Matthew Fitzjohn, Senior Lecturer at the University of Liverpool, showing teachers how to incorporate Lego and archaeology in Latin and numeracy lessons
- securing a grant for teacher research to measure the impact of Latin on pupils’ vocabulary.
- Introducing Lockdown Latin to a Pupil Referral unit
In 2020-21 Peter is committed to continuing his work supporting existing schools and getting new schools on board. If you are interested in becoming part of Blackpool's growing classics scene do get in touch.
We invite individual or corporate sponsorship of our regional networks. If you would like to find out more, please contact Sacha: email@example.com or 07854 634 861.